When I was a kid, I'd listen to my parents' records of the Clancy Brother and Tommy Makem, over and over. One of my favorites was The Rising of the Moon. YouTube is amazing: here is some film footage and stills the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin Rising ,although the ballad itself is about an earlier rebellion, in 1798. But as well as their republican songs, I loved their sea shanties and songs about sailing: emigration, whaling, "bound for California"!
I clearly remember the chorus of one song as "Heave away, haul away, we're bound for California." But when I went to look for it, I find that it's really "bound for South Australia!" Huh? a good example of a Mondegreen.
Maybe there's another version floating around there with California in it, but here it is: I'm bound for California for the next little while.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment