Sunday, April 19, 2009

Snarkmarket's "new liberal arts" in action!

I'm so excited to have discovered a blog today (via Snarkmarket) that connects my personal efforts at remaking my life in a more sustainable way to the kind of things I've been teaching about in recent years, moving away from the traditional models of my training and my field and into something that I think connects more directly with what my students want (and need) and what our future requires. I don't have time to write more about it now, but wander on over and check out New Home Economics.
This is one person's exploration of what the Snarkmarket folks have been exploring as the "new liberal arts"
We are about to go get our groceries at the Midtown global market, where I have been trying to buy as much locally sourced food as possible. We'll also go to the Wedge for the same reasons. We won't do it on the bus (although that would be possible and may be the way of the future) because I don't have the time to do it that way and also do all the other things that must be done to get ready for the busy work/school week ahead. But we did take the bus downtown instead of driving to see a movie and ended up walking home. I'm so glad my daughter enjoys walking as much as I do, and is old enough now so that she can say "oh, why didn't I bring my camera" instead of "uppy! uppy!"

Can't wait for the book.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Joanna, Thanks for the link! I've been thinking a lot about your comment over the past few days. We should try and talk the Snarkmarket folks into producing a Spanish-language version of the book. How cool would that be?

momo said...

Thanks for stopping by! Yes, that would be very cool.