Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Pickpocket strikes in a cafe.

Today I went to the ATM, then went to the cafe to work on class prep. While I was engrossed with my work, a professional pickpocket lifted my wallet, with all those nice crispy 20s, out of the front pocket of my backpack which was sitting on the floor between us right next to my leg. I remember vaguely noticing a man sit down at the table next to me, but the next time I looked up it was because of the coughing of the woman another table down and he was gone.

When I went to leave, I discovered my wallet was missing. I searched desperately through my backpack, looked everywhere, asked the baristas, and flashed back to that odd feeling I'd had earlier. I realized what had happened, and then had to cancel checks, ATM card, credit cards, and make a police report in case I have to contest any charges or bad checks. Also lost my AAA card, my library card, and all those coffee discount cards. Oh, and my faculty ID, much good that will do anybody. I have a duplicate drivers license, but I will have to report that as well.

The thing is, when I lived in Berkeley, something like this happened to me because I had my purse sitting next to me on a bench at an outdoor cafe and someone reached over the back of the bench and lifted my wallet, so I am usually so super careful. I'm just dismayed that I was so oblivious. But this has happened to other people I know; pros are slick.

An hour later, after being all calm about it initially, I find myself shaking and anxious. No, it's not the end of the world; I don't think anyone can do anything bad to me, but I hate the idea that a thief now has my address, my child's pictures, my really nice wallet that I just bought two months ago and that was the perfect wallet. I hate feeling like a chump. Losing $200 is pretty crappy, too.

1 comment:

Fresca said...

Oh, how awful!
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I know that "kicking myself" feeling, but you were not a chump! These guys operate in a way that is the opposite of compassion.

Being robbed and other sorts of personal crimes can be especially disturbing because they breach our intimate space on several levels.

As your label says: bummer.
(And thanks for the heads up--I am incredibly lax about security.)