Friday, October 16, 2009

Mason Jennings, "The Field"


Local musician Mason Jennings has been on the verge of super-stardom for years, but maybe it's just as well that he's been more of a cult favorite because it has let him live a normal life and make great music for appreciative fans. His latest album, "Blood of Man" has been getting heavy play on The Current, our local public radio music station, and we happened to hear it a few days ago on the drive to school. I was familiar with the music, but this time I really listened to the lyrics. By the time we got to school, I was sobbing. I couldn't help but remember the time last year when one of my students told me her only child had been killed in Iraq. Eight years of horror and wasted lives.
"I don't want no victory, I just want you back."

No comments: