This picture is from Featherstone Farms web page) and shows the contents of our latest weekly delivery! Since I've returned from London, I have been eating almost exclusively food from my Featherstone Farm CSA box, with just a few supplements of carbs and proteins. I steamed last week's green beans and have just been eating them cold. The cat likes to eat them, too, in fact he begs for them!
I turned half a cabbage into garlicky coleslaw, using the fresh garlic and parsley from the farm: chopped them up and added a sea salt and pepper, enough mayo to very lightly coat the cabbage and some cider vinegar. I also steamed half a cabbage with some carrots and potatoes, and have been adding these to other dishes I make, such as the baby back ribs in Caribbean-style BBQ sauce (spicy and citrusy) I made in the slow cooker. The sauce is from a local company, purchased at the Midtown Global Market, but one could easily prepare its equivalent with some OJ, lime juice, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, a little brown sugar, a little bit of this and that.
I've been enjoying the cucumbers either raw, or grated and mixed with pressed garlic, yoghurt, and a little dill (Greek tzatziki), or mixed with yoghurt, cumin, and mint (raita). Either of these goes well with the steamed veggies.
The six ears of corn got parboiled and are just as delicious cold as hot. I have collected the summer squash and onions, eggplant and basil, and will cook them up with the last of the tomatoes I froze last year for ratatouille. Ordinarily, one adds bell peppers to this, but I don't have any yet, just two banana peppers. I may throw them in, instead.
This leaves me with a red cabbage, another big bag of green beans, more potatoes and carrots, a few leftover cukes, and some beets. . . I may roast the root vegetables, although it feels too hot to roast anything, and prepare the cukes with a Japanese style dressing (rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame seeds)
Bring on the cavalcade of vegetables, I'm ready! This lovely "vegetable quilt', also from the FF site, gives me so much joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment