Friday, June 17, 2011

New technologies! I'm overwhelmed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marvelous - so reminds me of all university directives.

I cannot remember this ad but I can remember adults parodying it.

Plus then, my grandfather started work for the phone company in Glendale, CA (which phone company, quiero saber) in 1908 so I Must Know or rather, Wish I Did.

momo said...

It is s such a great reminder that all communication technologies are new at some point, and that all those telephone operators that got put our of work probably ended up doing data entry or some other pink-collar minimum-wage type job.

One of my jobs at Cal was as a student switchboard operator for campus information. We still used the plug-in system to connect calls. Some of the women had been working there for thirty years.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing all those switchboard workers, pulling out, plugging in! I am not sure when they stopped having that system...