I woke at 4, then fed the cat and took my meds at 5:30. The cat made me get out of bed again at 7. He seems to think it is his job to make sure I am not late for work or something.
Because there is a heat advisory today, I made plans to get out of the house early, and went to Kingfield Farmers' market. I got six ears of corn, a pound of heirloom tomatoes, okra, carrots, 2 bunches of lacinato kale (only $1 each!) and a bunch of parsley, a whole lot of green beans, a huge bouquet of flowers (dahlias, zinnias), and an ice-cream cone from the Crema stand. I wanted to linger because the music was good, but I knew I had a lot of cooking to do.
I cooked the corn first, then used the water to cook the green beans, and then the kale, after stripping the stems. I saved the broth separately to add to my Vitamix concoctions. The carrots I cooked in butter with some ginger and just a little bit of honey. I chopped up an onion and a yellow pepper I had on hand, and made a stew with the tomatoes and the okra. Some cooked corn kernels were added when it was done. I had thought of trying to make pickled okra, which I love, but I didn't have all the ingredients I would have needed. Next time. Apparently okra is one of those super-vegetables: low calorie, very nutritious.
My fridge is now full of veggies, and I will need to make sure I don't let anything go bad; I still have coconut rice and lentil stew leftovers to finish up.
Sunday, August 25, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment