Sunday, January 12, 2014

happy birthday, David Bowie

David Bowie's birthday was a few days ago, January 8. His web site also calls this the fiftieth year of his work as a recording artist; you can find his discography on Wikepedia, up to last year's album The Next Day, which I love.

I had heard all his earlier music while living in France 1976-7 because I had a roommate who was a huge Bowie fan, including painting her face, but the  album that meant the most to me was the one I got when I returned home, to my parents' divorce and my shattered family, 1977's Low. Recorded as he was trying to leave behind his cocaine habit, in collaboration with Tony Visconti and with contributions by Brian Eno, this album was what I played along with Talking Heads and Brian Eno to give some shape to my feelings.

The blog Pushing Ahead of the Dame is covering Bowie's body of music song by song.  Here is the section on Low. I especially appreciate learning about the crucial role of Bowie's R and B band to the sound of Low:
"Interviewed a quarter-century after he made Low, David Bowie griped about its alleged influences. Not just Low being called Bowie’s reaction to punk (which it predated—it was mastered before the Sex Pistols released “Anarchy in the U.K.”) but also what he said was critics’ over-emphasis of the likes of Kraftwerk at the expense of the American musicians—Dennis Davis, Carlos Alomar and George Murray—who were the backbone of the record."
Lately I've been re-listening to favorite songs and records by paying attention to the bass playing, and I hear how much my involvement with this record's sound has to do with George Murray's bass parts. Here's a live performance from 1978, with musicians  Adrian Belew (lead guitar), Brian Eno (keyboards/synths), Dennis Davis (drums), George Murray (bass), Carlos Alomar (rhythm guitar).
Playing music from the next project: Sense of Doubt, The Beauty & the Beast, Heroes, Stay.

David Bowie live in Musikladen 1978 Part 1 from Golfhunter on Vimeo.

David Bowie live in Musikladen 1978 ( Part.2) from Golfhunter on Vimeo. Jean Genie, an awesome version of My TVC 15, Moon of Alabama (Kurt Weil).

And here he is on SNL in 1978 performing TVC 15 and Boys Keep Swinging.



Want to give all his albums a listen? Check out this playlist.

No comments: