Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Victoria de los Angeles: "la dulzura al servico del canto"



I will always adore the voice and performance of Victoria de los Angeles, especially when she sings Spanish song cycles. We had these boxed sets of classical music records when I was young, with two Rossini arias sung by her ("una voce poco fa"  and "dunque io son'"). I sang along to them hundreds of times (I don't think my mother ever complained).   Something about the timbre of her voice just made me happy. Later, I would recognize that she might not have been the most technically accomplished  when compared with some other sopranos, but she was my first love.

Here's a charming  interview clip, with a song performance, from British TV.

Best comment on this clip ("Che gelida manina" with the divine Jussi Bjorling):  her singing was "la dulzura al servicio del canto."

No comments: