Watching Street Dance of China. It's all my brain can handle. I'm watching the first season with no English subs, and fast-forwarding through the talky parts. There are four team captains, all accomplished pop star dance performers. One is Tao who was part of EXO, if I am not mistaken. They start with individual auditions on a street set, with battles to make choices exciting; chosen dancers get a scarf. Then the action moves to a gym where they have to whittle the 100 chosen down to 50, with all four captains acting as judges. From time to time they have the rest of the dancers indicate their choice by putting a scarf around the neck of their preferred dancer. You get to know the dancers by their styles: b-boys, poppers, lockers, even some robot and waacking. There are several women, probably one in five. There is a style category they call "urban" which seems to be more lyrical and interpretive. One guy speaks English and is from the Kinjas crew; he seems kind of like a ringer. Once the big cut has been made, they divide them into ten teams of five and give them 24 hours to come up with a group choreography. Each team has a captain-choreographer, and they face off in a battle with another team. The losing team captain chooses another dancer to join a battle with ten dancers competing for two slots. I skipped over the long section where the four team captains assembled teams for a group choreography number. Now I'm half-way through the first season and I will get to see how they stage the next competition. I am tempted to jump into season three where there are subs, but I am enjoying the dance enough to stick with it for now. Here is a battle between two team captains, the super popular Wang Yibo and Jackson Wang. Both are terrific but Wang Yibo has great musicality:
Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment