Saturday, May 03, 2025

Falls and Medical Guardian device

 It's spring and I finally hung up my down jackets. I had my quarterly MRI for the brain and it continues to be good. The next one will be in six months. My latest health issue has been falls. I was going into the subway station a few weeks ago and I tripped at the bottom of some wet metal stairs and fell on my knees. I yelled in pain and wasn't able to get up by myself. Some kind people helped me up from the puddle I had fallen into. I was bruised and sore but nothing was broken so I continued on my way to meet my friend at Sahadi's deli to buy Aleppo pepper and have lunch. I was wet and dirty from the muddy puddle but able to walk. The next day however I was really sore. I told my AlAnon sponsor and she suggested that I get a panic button. I realized that I had been so anxious about my mother getting and using one but it had never crossed my mind to get one for myself. 

So I went online and ordered a Medical Guardian button pendant. It came in the mail promptly. I paid for a year's subscription to get the discount. It's not cheap but if I'm going to do this, I need to make the commitment to wearing it all the time. I have fallen several times in the last few years and I'm fortunate that the worst injury I had was a sprained wrist in Spain. At least three times I fell and hit my face hard. I'm so lucky I didn't break any facial bones.

Since my fall I have taken the subway several times. I am very consciously holding the handrail as I go up and down the stairs. I've been wearing the button pendant all the time, in bed and around the house as well as outside. I need to set up the lockbox with the set of keys I had made so that the EMTs can get in if I fall in the house and can't get up. So far all of my falls have been tripping over my own feet or over uneven pavement where I haven't picked up my feet, and not from loss of consciousness. I also fell trying to put on my pants standing up so now I sit on the bed.

No comments: