Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Limits

Yesterday I had a piano lesson. I love my piano lessons, but yesterday's was tough.
I have been diagnosed with "rotator cuff impingement" syndrome which means, for the moment, that the left side of my upper body hurts like the dickens. I'm getting physical therapy, but I have been told not to do certain movements, and that I must collaborate in my healing by faithfully doing what the Physical Therapist recommends! So piano practice has been limited to right hand only, and I am working on observing how I sit, move, breathe and perform all kinds of basic actions in order to begin healing. As this situation is a result of an underlying chronic pain condition, I know there will be no quick fix, but I also know that healing is possible.

So I will have to seek inspiration in the playing of others for the moment.Hhere is a wonderful story about the "Mozart Project" that I heard on NPR yesterday while I was driving home, wondering if I'd have to give up my dream of playing the piano again. It was so inspiring to hear these two musicians converse about the experience of playing together and working together on this wonderful music.

Then, of course, I could learn to play Mozart by other means:

2 comments:

Professor Zero said...

The video is funny!!! But your shoulder will improve and you will be able to play the piano with your left hand. If you can't now, s***, the pain must be bad !!! I hate pain !!!
Hope you feel better soon !!!

Jose y Ana said...

Animo Joanna, seguro que con los cuidados y la terapia mejoras rapido. Que tal practicar un dos manos con Rosemary? tu con la derecha y ella con la izquierda. Yo es que para el patinaje soy penoso, o sea que el plan B no lo termino de ver claro