Friday, August 29, 2008

Thank you, John McCain! You just helped elect Barack Obama!

Jumped the Shark!
McCain, meet the shark you just jumped.
Q. What is jumping the shark?
A. It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it "Jumping the Shark." From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same.

The term "jump the shark" was coined by site founder Jon Hein's college roommate of 4 years, Sean J. Connolly, in Ann Arbor, Michigan back in 1985. This web site, book, film, and all other material surrounding shark jumping, are hereby dedicated to "the Colonel."

The aforementioned expression refers to the telltale sign of the demise of Happy Days, our favorite example, when Fonzie actually "jumped the shark." The rest is history.

Jumping the shark applies not only to TV, but also music, film, even everyday life. "Did you see her boyfriend? She definitely jumped the shark." You get the idea.


Palin: "But as for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell ya, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me, what is it exactly that the VP does every day?"


Married to an BP oilman;

Advocate of teaching creationism in public schools

Subject of state investigation for her efforts to get her ex-brother-in-law fired and endorsed by corrupt Ted Stevens;

Broke the law by using Alaska's DNR website to advocate against the Clean Water Initiative in favor of polluting mining interests;

Opposes abortion even in cases of rape and incest;

Hates polar bears!

And it is insulting:
"it's a slap in the face of other Republican women like Kay Bailey Hutchison, bless her heart, who was forced to stumble through an interview on TV trying to make the case for Palin whom she has never met. There are certainly women in the Republican party who were "in line" for this before Palin. Did the Rovian type advisors to McCain just cynically think that throwing a young attractive inexperienced woman into the mix would satisfy women who long to see a woman president? Women, and Republican women, are not so stupid as to fall for that! It is reminiscent of the Republicans putting up Alan Keyes to run against Barack Obama for the Illinois Senate just because he was black. Voters saw through that pretty quickly."

And they won't like Palin just because she has breasts.

I have to agree with Pam Spaulding here:
"McCain Veep Meltdown: He's Unqualified to Serve".

12 comments:

Professor Zero said...

Well, I heard it here first!

(I just bought an Obama/Biden T-shirt from some dredlocked guys who were selling T shirts at night in a discount grocery store parking lot. I bought it because I thought the presence of T shirt sellers improved the desolate parking lot.)

Anyway, I guess this nomination means the Republicans know they've already lost and think it will be "historic" of them to nominate a una mujer?

momo said...

I think from their point of view, she's a smart pick, and if you read comments in right-wing blogs, she has "experience" while Obama has none! She will mobilize their base, since a lot of fundies actually hate McCain: she was a beauty pageant contestant, a basketball player, hunts and fishes, is a hockey mom, mother of five (or four if you believe the story that the 4 month old with Downs syndrome is really her 17 year old daughter's baby: nobody knew she was pregnant until she was 7 months along, the baby was born before the due date, the kid was out of school with "mono' during the time).

There are enough people in this country who are fully capable of electing Grandpa Simpson and Lurleen because they hate Obama and Biden enough that my headline may be defiant wishful thinking rather than accurate prediction. Remember, I thought we could NEVER elect that dunce Reagan.

Professor Zero said...

Beauty pageant contestant?! Amazing: when I saw her my first thought was OMG she is lackluster if not downright ugly! Shows what I know.

And I was expecting Bobby Jindal - also shows what I know. And I didn't realize about the 4 month old. That is hilarious.

I've seen positive things about her but they are in lunatic fringe right wing blogs.

It is very interesting in any case.
I think this pair is particularly unattractive but then there was Nixon-Agnew. Winning. The neighbor ladies thought Nixon handsome.

Leee said...

The older the parents are, the more likely an infant is likely to be born w/ Down Syndrome. (Conversely, the younger the parents, the less likely.) Considering the incidence rate, plus how amazingly inept the search committee would have to be to miss the good ol' teenage baby switcheroo gambit -- yeah, even with the fact that McCain only met her a handful of times, not to mention just how far out of left-field the choice is, I can't imagine that the Republicans overlooked it entirely. I know how scary and difficult the INTERTUBES are to "My staff are teaching me email" McCain, but surely some intern would've found it on Google?

In any case, any Dem with a brain isn't going to go anywhere near it while letting the Enquirer look into it.

momo said...

Leee, you are right, and that is why my malicious gossip is relegated to parenthetical remarks in comments, while the stuff in the post is all what I felt fairly sure had been carefully vetted or is part of the public record.

As a woman who worked myself right up to the day I gave birth to a (healthy) child at an age the medical establishment insists on labeling "geriatric primipara" (I kid you not) and who also had to go back to work right away without any partner at home, I am imagining how many nannies they must have, because a new baby is a full-time job around the clock.

Did she really not show at all until seven months, when she first told her staff? up until 4-5 months I can buy it for someone who is alreay a little heavy, but a woman like her who is in very good shape will show unless she was wearing a tent.

Professor Zero said...

OK I'll try to google this. Meanwhile I've decided it's her hair color I don't like - I think it is too ashy.

I'm not being sexist, I'm being frivolous, unable to concentrate on serious things because of our imminent companion Gustav, and I'm only not trying to redesign McCain because he's hopeless.

So, on to the makeover: I want her to have a warmer color, and to put more layers in her hair. (It can still be very long but it will look more hip.) And I have seen her picture in Wikipedia with a hair color much more like the one I would recommend! I am vindicated!

Good luck with the RNC.

Professor Zero said...

P.S. Her current glasses are really good, though, and I think they are Silhouette frames. I want some, too.

Professor Zero said...

OK, so my adrenalin levels do not let me sleep, therefore I dug and found this blog post with many links on Da Rumor.
http://www.halfsigma.com/2008/08/trig-is-not-sarah-palins-baby.html

Actually, it's fine by me if she did that, and I know people who have and know of more (I keep living in Catholic places, where this does happen). What interests me is what it does to the squeaky clean image and now, the convoluted rhetoric about how saying it is her baby (if in fact it isn't) makes her and the family even MORE moral.

momo said...

I've felt an attack of rumor-monger's remorse. I hate it that she is already the object of crude sexual jokes and if HRC got the "Borg Queen" misogyny, she's getting the porn treatment. She also could have been a woman who didn't talk about her pregnancy because she didn't want to hear all the stuff people were going to say to and about her because it was none of their business. Damn it.

Professor Zero said...

Well I think that in the pictures where she supposedly doesn't look pregnant, she does. And probably if she knew it would have Down's Syndrome, she knew she would get a lot of Schadenfreude, let's have coffee and commiserate about it, and condescension. So whatever.

She *is* getting the porn misogyny treatment but it appears from her policy positions that she doesn't much care whom SHE and HERS mistreat, either (yes, I realize, that doesn't make it all right, etc.).

But she's for "life," which means she wants to make these sorts of decisions for others. That's a religion that doesn't have judge not that ye not be judged policies, that BELIEVES in intervening in other peoples' private lives, and that SUPPORTS the idea of throwing the first stone at the so called sinner.

[I am just an ignorant rural girl mahself, anyway. New Yorkers transplanted to N.O. now up here for the storm have trouble believing I could really have gotten mah lil' groceries in a supermarket right here. They couldn't have full service supermarkets in a state like Louisiana, outside a famous city like N.O., right? And if I think they do, and I swear I have just seen shelf after shelf of water for sale in gallon jugs, it's just because I'm not married, so I have nobody to correct my misperceptions.]

Leee said...

On the makeover tip, I think Palin looks really sharp here.

momo said...

Well, here we can compare a variety of styles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vecYnbyFIw