By way of Professor Zero: I am posting this video because it's funky, fun,and upful, and because my mama is for Obama, too!
I am also meditating today on how our very real and legitimate fears in this time of uncertainty, violence, and change can both paralyze us or galvanize us into action. It is tempting to react with suspicion, resignation, cynicism and despair. But I choose not to do so. I am going to have to get over my dislike of door-knocking, find a door-knocking buddy, and get out there.
I watched Ousmane Sembene's film Moolaade on Friday. It's a gorgeous, beautiful, luminous, great film about a community which confronts a deep-rooted tradition that is a source of suffering, and how somehow it becomes possible to think of changing that tradition when the youngest, the most vulnerable, the little girls of the village say no, when they are inspired by the only other woman in the village who has also said no, alone at first, and how their example is met with repression, with brutality, but how their example of resistance inspires others to stand with them and insist that there WILL be change. The film is a powerful work of humanistic art. It is not reductive--it loves all its characters-- but it is also committed to a vision of a better world.
Cultures change; they can change, and they do change. But they change when people stand up and stand together. Our country is confronting, not for the first time, deeply rooted beliefs and practices that cause great suffering: racism, sexism, the corruption inherent in savage capitalism. Our history includes many stories of people who said no, who suffered, but who also inspired and created community, solidarity, and change.
We have to say YES to hope in ourselves before we can say NO to oppression.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What's your door knocking strategy suggestion for Louisiana?
Latest projections I've seen are that it will go for McCain almost 2-1, i.e. an almost even Black/white split (with just a few white votes for Obama). The students are commenting that because of the electoral college, their (Obama) votes won't count.
I can't believe it & want to think there must be more white Democrats who, etc.
I am probably naive.
Tell your students that they have to vote anyway AND vote for local candidates. If door knocking is not for you (and I hate it myself), at least having conversations with neighbors or acquaintances is better than nothing. Louisiana and other states may not go for Obama but that doesn't mean we have to surrender our spirit.
And a lot of the polls are cooked.
But for a site recommended by my demographer historian colleague who is a serious math whiz, try this:
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/
Well it turns out the Tiger Weekly is hopeful:
http://tigerweekly.com/article/06-11-2008/8569
I've also done my own math now and I am figuring that if all Black voters vote and vote for Obama then only 3 in 10 of the others need to to make up 51%. I don't think it's so hard.
But 538 is betting (or aggregating?) 46-54, 87% chance of GOP winning. Cooked polls, good point.
Also: check this out, it's v. cute, kidz for Obama:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICCbZ_sMw48
Post a Comment