Saturday, October 18, 2008

Levi Tubbs, the voice of the Four Tops, R.I.P.

Levi Tubbs, lead vocalist of The Four Tops, died in his sleep. He continued to sing with just as powerful a voice until only a few years ago. Their songs thrilled me for years. I was not a rock and roll kid; my friends and I were all about r and b, soul and funk. The team of Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote and produced many of the Four Tops' hits in the sixties. I didn't know it then, but the musicians on those songs were also huge contributors to their sound; the "Funk Brothers" played on the Four Tops's' sixties hits. The documentary movie Standing in the Shadows of Motown brought that story to greater public attention.

Earlier in the year, I wrote about the rituals of high school graduation parties; in 1974, we went to Disneyland: "The hit show of the night was The Four Tops, in all their dancing glory, singing hits like "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch," Reach Out: I'll be There, Still Waters, "Baby, I need your loving","Ain't No Woman Like the One I got"." This live version of "Ain't No Woman..." shows what great performers they were.


In 1985, the Apollo that brought The Four Tops together with some of the other greats groups: the Manhattans, the Cadillacs, The Drifters, The Temptations, and the Four Tops.

1 comment:

Professor Zero said...

Right back atchya!