via @jojeda, (Pioneer Press tech blogger and Twitter expert Julio Ojeda-Zapata's Twitter feed) comes the amazing news that PBS is going to start streaming its shows! So if you looked at the TV guide and realized that they were already on chapter 4 of Little Dorritt on Masterpiece Theater, now you can catch up on chapters 1-3. There are a few episodes of Julia Child shows. Nova, Frontline, American Masters biographies, Nature, and many other great shows are given their video home page with episodes and ways to browse by topic. The same episodes are also available from the programs' home pages, but this way of archiving them makes it easier to browse all the vide rather than search out each program home page. I really like how they've set up the site so that you can browse through the programs in an iPod-like "cover flow" feature; it makes it easy and attractive to see what they have available. You can also search by lists of programs, topics, and through a Search feature.
When TV goes digital and we are cut off (because I won't be a converter box and plan to recycle my 1988 TV, and I haven't yet been able to decide what kind of TV if any I want to get to replace it, I now know I can spend the summer watching PBS shows on my computer.
OK, maybe I'll need to watch SYTYCD, which so far is not streamed or archived anywhere that I know of, but that's the only show I can think of right now that I need to watch in person now that it looks as if Dollhouse will be canceled. R. may go through Simpsons withdrawal at first, but that's what hulu is for. PBS video is still in beta, and they don't have their back catalogue up, but one can hope that they might decide to add some older episodes.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey! That's good news for me, who hasn't owned a TV is years (more space restrictions than anything). Thanks for saying.
Post a Comment