And another fact is that I have downloaded enough music from them over the last two years that I have hardly had time to listen to it all! My iPod is full (and I've only ever bought 4 songs from iTunes: all the rest is my CD collection + emusic) and I want to explore what I have. So I'm going to catch up on my listening, save some money, and see how the whole things shakes down. Here are the artists whose albums I have downloaded (legally!) from emusic over the last couple of years. Some are artists I've loved for a long time while others are new to me, but they each came recommended by other music fans whose reviews helped me discover new music.
- Adele
- Al Green
- Allison Moorer
- Amalia Rodrigues
- Andrew Bird
- Angelo Stefanato, Camerata Strumentale Di Santa Cecilia
- Antony and the Johnsons
- Arcade Fire
- Aterciopelados
- Baaba Maal
- Bebel Gilberto
- Bebo Valdes
- Belle and Sebastian
- Bettye Lavette
- Björk
- Bon Iver
- Bosque Brown
- Bossacucanova
- Calexico
- Camera Obscura
- Carlinhos Brown
- Carmen McRae
- Cat Power
- Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
- Charlie Parker
- Chris Letcher
- Cloud Cult
- Cocteau Twins
- Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band
- Copeland
- Count Basie
- CéU
- Dar Williams
- Dashboard Confessional
- Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer
- David Byrne & Brian Eno
- Day For Night
- Dead Kennedys
- Devotchka
- Edith Piaf
- Eliza Carthy
- Famous L. Renfroe
- Forellen Quintet
- Franco
- Frank Sinatra
- Franz Joseph Haydn
- Fred Astaire
- Funkadelic
- Gary Numan
- Gil Scott-Heron
- Gillian Welch
- Glass Candy
- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
- godspeed you! black emperor
- Gogol Bordello
- Gotan Project
- Heartless Bastards
- Henry Kaiser And David Lindley
- Hoagy Carmichael
- Iggy Pop
- Ike And Tina Turner
- Jacques Brel
- James Taylor
- Jennifer Warnes
- John Coltrane
- Johnny Mercer
- Juana Molina
- Judy Garland
- Le Concert des Nations
- Los Amigos Invisibles
- Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
- Los Munequitos De Matanzas
- Lura
- M. Ward
- M.I.A. (XL)
- Mahmoud Ahmed
- Manu Chao
- Maria Muldaur
- Mbilia Bel & Seigneur Ley Rochereau & l'Afrisa International
- Mirah
- Mos Def
- My Brightest Diamond
- Neutral Milk Hotel
- Nick Lowe
- Nortec Collective
- Otis Redding
- Pau Casals
- Peggy Seeger
- Plain White T's
- Question Mark and the Mysterians
- Radiohead
- Ray Charles
- Reverend Charlie Jackson
- Ruth Brown
- Santana
- Santogold
- Sarah Vaughan
- Schola Cantorum
- Seu Jorge
- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
- Simone Dinnerstein
- Ska Cubano
- Soweto Gospel Choir
- St. Vincent
- The Decemberists
- The Kinks
- The Pixies
- The Raconteurs
- The Rolling Stones
- The Stylistics
- The White Stripes
- Thelonious Monk
- Thelonious Monk And John Coltrane
- Thomas Mapfumo
- Tinariwen
- Tony Bennett And Bill Evans
- Tracy Grammer
- Various
- Various Artists
- Various Artists
- Various Artists - Concord Jazz
- Various Artists - Doghouse Records
- Various Artists - Frochot Music
- Various Artists - Hybrid Recordings
- Various Artists - Luaka Bop
- Various Artists - Maison De Soul Records
- Various Artists - Music Resource Group
- Various Artists - Nacional Records
- Various Artists - Razor & Tie
- Various Artists - Shanachie Records Celtic/British Isles
- Various Artists - Shanachie Records Rock
- Various Artists - Shanachie Records Soundtracks
- Various Artists - Smithsonian Folkways
- Violent Femmes
- White Rabbits
- Youssou N'Dour
- Yves Montand
5 comments:
You are missing WIlliam Shatner!
OK, I'm kind of joking, but really, have you heard his spokenword album "Has Been" (2004)? It's surprisingly good. Made with Ben Folds, it features amazing guests, from Henry Rollins (Black Flag) to Brad Paisley (country western).
I like your "C" bands! Camera Obscura are adorable, Cat Power is indispensable, and the Cocteaus are extremely dear to me.
It was kind of fun to see what I had bought over the last year and a half: some was replacement music for old records I'd had before, while other albums were new to me. Our big discovery this year was Cloud Cult.
Good list! There are quite a few I don't know, but lots that I love already. This is somewhat unrelated, but I wanted to share with you an article I read in Wired called "The New Socialism." It made me think of class and I thought you would like it. This is the first time I've commented, but I like reading your blog!
The New Socialism
hey, Summer! welcome! I'll check out that post. Please comment as much as you'd like. I generally have no idea who might be reading!
Post a Comment