Sunday, December 06, 2009

Ox Tail Improvisation

My next cook book is going to be Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.
I improvised an oxtail stew with my new slow cooker, and it is delicious! I cooked the pieces in dark beer with a handful of dried savory, some tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. I didn't brown the pieces, although I could have, just threw it all in the pot and cooked it overnight on low. Not much liquid is needed because the oxtail gives off so much itself. In the morning, I pulled the pieces out of the pot, separated the meat from the bones (and picked out the larger pieces of fat), and added potatoes to the broth left in the crockpot. Those didn't take long to cook, and they soaked up a little bit of the juices. When it was done, I strained the broth into a bowl and chilled it. The fat congealed on the top and was easily scraped off. I ended up with about two cups of beef tallow, and a few cups of gellied broth that I froze. The only change I would make to the recipe if I did it again would be to add carrots, maybe, and more salt. I'm learning that the amounts of seasoning need to be increased while the amounts of liquids should be cut in half, at least, depending on if you want a soupy preparation or not.
I've had "rabo de toro" in Spain, mmmmm

Next time I think I might try using the spices in this recipe from "Asia Down Under", or I could try it Jamaican style, a Filipino recipe.

Here is the Iron Chef Oxtail challenge! Part 2/5. The dubbing is a hoot, but the techniques and ingredients are fascinating.

Part 3, Part 4/5, and the finale, Part 5.

No comments: