Saturday, December 19, 2009

A small wish list.

My daughter has ordered me to make a Christmas wish list. I really don't need anything, but I do have a wish list. Given her purchase power, I can't expect her to get me a trip for two to Japan. Or to buy me these Criterion Films boxed collectors sets. But they are on my wish list! Maybe I'll have to netflix the list next year. The Janus Essential Art House: 50 films is 50 of the world's greatest movies for $650 (along with books, notes, poster, etc). That works out to an incredibly reasonable price per film, and one could watch one a week all next year.

Another boxed set they have is Akira Kurosawa 100: 25 films, to honor the 100th anniversary of his birth. $319 I have probably seen most of these, many in Japantown in San Francisco with my mom when I was in high school, but I would love to own them; I never get tired of Kurosawa's films.

I have a backlog of books in the house I have to read, so no new books or I will get them from the library. But 2 books I would like to own are cookbooks:
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything is one I've had my eye on for a while, and now that I have a slow cooker, I'd like to try out Make It Fast, Cook It Slow A Year of Slow Cooking by Stephanie O'Dea. Yes, one can read recipes online and print them out, but I love holding cookbooks, getting them dirty, and pulling them off my shelves to get inspiration.

For real? honey, if you could find me a really nice winter fleece hat that doesn't make me forehead itch (no wool, alas!) I would be thrilled.

No comments: