Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mark Bittman's basics: flank steak

A very sweet person gave me a gift card to Magers and Quinn Bookstore, so I immediately bought Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, a book I had been craving for a while.

Flank steak was on sale at Lund's, so this is the first dish I have prepared with it. I marinated the meat in juice of an orange (didn't have lime), soy, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper. I left out the sugar because the orange is sweeter anyway. Instead of broiling it, I cut the piece of meat in half, and layered it with thinly sliced sweet onion in the slow cooker. I let it braise with the marinade until it was falling apart. I love it when onions are braised and soak up all the flavors. I ate it with moong dal.

Bittman also was part of the series "On The Road Again" with Mario Batalli, Claudia Bassols, and Gwyneth Paltrow. Food tourism in Spain sounds great after another snowy, slushy, gray January day.

Spain:on the road again from SOTRA on Vimeo.

No comments: