Sunday, September 25, 2011

Goodbye to Facebook, once again.

The first time I tried Facebook, I ended up deleting my account in disgust at the underhanded way the company changed its terms of service. I got back on again because a few dear people communicate that way more than with blogs or Twitter, and I wanted to keep in touch. But, once again, I have deleted ---or "deleted"-- my account because of the untrustworthiness of Facebook. As a Twitter buddy answered instantly when I tweeted that I'd deleted (heh heh), my Facebook account will outlive me. Literally.
In my explorations before I made this decision, I found out about an add-on called Ghostery that can make visible most of the tracking mechanisms you don't even realize are harvesting data from you without your knowledge, and block them if you choose.  This review on CNET gives more details, if you're interested. Without all the third-party tracker crap, I wonder if my browser will run faster?

No comments: