I'm completely in love with all fifteen minutes of this performance by Colin Stetson, "To See More Light." I had never heard of him until I got this track as part of the Top Songs of 2013 from the music blog Said The Gramphone.
He is able to perform using circular breathing, overblowing, and other techniques that enable him to sound as if he is playing multiple tracks at once. Here, in an interview for the show Studio Q, he talks about how he makes music.
"Montreal based saxophone wizard Colin Stetson has collaborated with the likes of Arcade Fire, Lou Reed and Bon Iver, and this year his solo album was short-listed for the Polaris Prize. Colin Stetson is in Studio Q to chat about the origin of his mighty bass sax and how he divides his time as a hired horn."
He performs the piece "Judges" live, on the bass saxophone:
In this clip, he shows how he layers the parts and plays them together, with mics that pick up the percussive sound of the keys themselves, and a throat mic to pick up a vocal part:
I still have not seen "Twelve Years a Slave," and apparently a piece of his music is part of the score. He will be at the Cedar Cultural Center April 17, so I'm going to make sure I go see him perform this amazing music.
No comments:
Post a Comment