Monday, January 05, 2015

2015 food inspiration: more green salads!

We have been eating the best green salads every day here in Zaragoza. Nothing fancy, just good ingredients. So I'm resolved to eat a good green salad every day at home. There are lots of salads with grains or that are really what I would consider cold vegetable side dishes, but I'm craving salads that are some mix of greens, dressing and garnishes. I especially love bitter greens.
I made myself some kale salads before we came to Spain, and they are great, but there are some common mistakes to avoid and recommendations to avoid digestive overload: slice it thinly, don't tear; use an acidic dressing; massage your kale; then let it sit some to break down; give it some buddies; prefer lacinato kale.

Bookmarking these recipes and sites for green salad inspirations when we get home:

the kitchn is apartment therapy's companion site, and a site search comes up with over 6000 hits for "salads"!  I would like this lemony green salad with radicchio and pepitas.


The Splendid Table, the public radio show with Lynn Rossetto Kaspar has a great salad section. This arugula salad with feta, walnuts and pomegranate combines some of my favorites.

Frisée salad with shitake bacon! from The Delicious Life, looks so good! Also Shitake Bahn Mi Salad from Isa's post-punk kitchen.

Jamie Oliver has lots of "hearty salad" recipes that look terrific, but here's his chopped salad.

David Leibowitz, a favorite food writer, has a great post on one of my favorite things from France, salade de carottes râpées (grated carrots). I first had this magical dish when I did my junior year abroad in Bordeaux, in the student restaurants, and reading his site gives me my shot of vicarious Paris living.

Finally, not a salad, but gorgeous food photography from Shutterbean for this ultimate veggie sandwich.







No comments: