Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Losing weight, day 7

I was really inspired by Kristin's Facebook posts about healthy food and running!
I started using My Fitness Pal to track calories and create a food log so I can stick to my 1200 a day calorie goal. This is what I need to do if I want to lose slowly and surely, with the goal of losing a pound a week. If I do this for 30 weeks, I will lose 30 lbs by next May. Since I now weigh 165, this will bring me down to 135. Still 10 pounds more than my weight during my 20s-40s, but a reasonable expectation for a fit 58-year-old woman. Because I am also going to start incorporating bodyweight excercises I can do at home so I can get fit and toned without depending on the Y classes.

I am off to a good start. I need to recreate those healthy meal habits: eat more at breakfast and less at dinner. Create small, nutritious meals ranging from 3-400 calories, and allow a couple of snacks. Slowly wean myself from the bad habits that have accumulated so that I gained all this weight without even feeling as if I were over-indulging.

*Two quesadillas and a beer is already half the day's calories, so those three quesadilla meals were one culprit.

*Drinking my coffee black instead of with 1 cup of milk.

*Remember the peanut butter and multigrain toast meal! also the sardines on Wasa bread meal! filling, nutritious, and good protein to give lasting energy without the sudden blood sugar drop.

*Stock up on plain non-fat Greek yogurt. Measure portions if buying large containers'

*Use the measuring cup for portions, especially of carbs.

*Buy a kitchen scale.

*Microwave that egg in the poaching cup to cook it without fat.

*Half the plate should be fruit and vegetables!!

*If I don't buy it, I won't eat it: no sugar, refined carbs, fried substances, fatty meats, bacon, ice cream, chocolate.

*Dates are a great way to get a sugar hit, but the calories can add up fast. One Medjool date is 77 calories, two dates is the same as drinking a beer!

*Always have two kinds of fresh fruit in the house, and washed and sliced crudités in the fridge.

No comments: