Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Last winter in Minnesota

It just hit me that this will be my last winter in Minnesota!
I will savor the last time I get to

-shovel snow. If I'm lucky, I'll even get to use the snow-blower!
-wave at my neighbors as we shovel snow;
-chip ice off the sidewalk on that one spot where my neighbors' roof melt pools and freezes in front of our building;
-scrape ice off the windshield of my car with one of three different ice-scraping tools I have in my trunk;
-check obsessively to make sure I don't get towed during the snow emergency parking dance;
-model my stylish full-length down coat/Sorel boots/hat with earflaps/ double rag-wool mittens/face mask while enjoying the sensation of wearing silk long underwear;
-say something like, "well, I remember the big blizzards of '92!" or "but this is an unusually warm winter!"
-help someone jump start a car (mine or theirs) "red to red, black to black";
-brake my car and slide gently into a spin on the freeway while practicing turning INTO the spin;
-watch thousands of crows fly the crow highway on their way to roost in Loring Park or at that spot over by I-35, as the sun goes down at 4:15.
-listen to my boots make that crunching noise when the snow it is really cold and the snow is dry;
-feel my breath freeze on my nose-hairs;
-dig my car out of snow drifts, and then practice my well-honed skills of rocking it out of the ice ruts without burning out the clutch.



No comments: