Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Hiker's vasculitis and NYBG preview

 Yesterday I discovered red blotches on both legs just above the sock line. This is something I've experienced before where doing a lot of walking in a city during a vacation. I normally walk between 1.5 and 2.5 miles a day at home, but when I was in Tokyo and now here in New York, I've been walking 5 miles or more a day, to the point of having sore legs and feet. The appearance of the blotches means I am having golfer's vaculitis, also known as Disney vasculitis; it's a condition brought on by heat, dehydration and pounding the pavement for hours. It isn't related to fitness but is a problem of circulation stress. The first time I got it was the first trip to Japan--I freaked out and thought I was having hives and some kind of allergic reaction, until my internet research identified the cause of blood vessel irritation. The second time we went to Japan I brought along compression socks and it really helped. I idly thought of looking for them and bringing them along for this trip but then I forgot. Today is a day when we had already planned to take it easy so I'll rest and put my feet up, catch up on some reading. 

Tomorrow will be another big walking day since we'll go to the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx to see the Yayoi Kusama installations. 

We got tickets too late to see the indoor part of the show but there will be plenty to see outside. It's a long ride away --two subways and a bus--but we visited the Yayoi Kusama museum in Tokyo and really want to see her work in the gardens.

No comments: