The huge Diego Rivera mural that has been at City College for all these years has been moved to the SFMOMA for three years. It's free to go and see it and I plan to go soon. Meanwhile, I watched a lecture by Will Maynez about its history and conservation, and discovered this web site which has keys to explanations of the figures on each of its panels, and links to a lot of other information, including curriculum plans and a very recent NBC documentary about the process of moving this massive piece of art. Because of the pandemic I missed the huge Frida Kahlo show that was held at the De Young Museum last year--broke my heart!--but apparently a big Rivera painting show is slated for SFMOMA next year.
Here is a similar talk Will Maynez did for the SF Public Library just prior to this project of conservatorship and moving of the mural:
No comments:
Post a Comment