Yesterday, B****PhD
posted a story from her new home in Orange County about a letter that was mailed to 14,000 foreign-born Latino voters who were registered as Democrats. The letter was in Spanish, and the
brief AP story quoted it as saying that immigrants who voted would be commiting a crime. Much discussion ensued in the comments section and on other blogs about the difference between illegal alien, immigrant, naturalized citizen, ID requirements in different states, voter intimidation, etc, but most of the discussion was based on a brief AP story that did not cite the original Spanish text. Today, this story is big news in California because
it turns out that the letter was sent by a Republican candidate for office, Tan Nguyen, that it was even more clearly intimidating than the brief quotation had suggested. Not only did the letter state (falsely) that it is illegal for an immigrant to vote (immigrants who are naturalized citizens and registered to vote have every right to vote), it said that they could be deported, that a computer tracking system was being set up that anti-immigrant groups could use to track them down, and not to believe any politician who claimed otherwise. Now even the California GOP is calling for Tan to withdraw from the race. Fortunately, recipients of the letter complained, the case was investigated, and the effort has been publicly denounced. (UPDATE:
GOP CALLS FOR CANDIDATE TO LEAVE THE RACE) But it does go to show why the stories about voter intimidation and fraud that I wrote about in earlier posts are still relevant.
But that's not why I had to write about this story. As we scholars know (ahem!) one should never work from a translation, if possible. So today, when I was finally able to find pdf files of both the
Spanish letter and the
English translation posted by the
liberaloc , I discovered that the letter was signed.....
Sergio Ramirez! Whoa! Did someone pull that name out of a hat, or was the author of this vicious political hoax a fan of the Nicaraguan novelist and former Sandinista leader?

Seriously, here is an
essay in English by Sergio Ramirez about the upcoming elections in Nicaragua, a country once much in the news in the US, but now almost completely absent. And here is an
essay in Spanish, one of the many articles archived on his web page, in which he looks back on Nicaraguan history on the occasion of the death of Ronald Reagan in 2004, and talks about what has been accomplished and what still needs to be done. I saw Sergio Ramirez give a talk about Ruben Dario in Managua when I attended a conference on Central American literature. I have a picture of him standing next to Ernesto Cardenal that I should dig up and scan so I can post it here. Now I must go read
that novel I've had sitting on my shelf for years.
6 comments:
I can't get pass anyone willingly moving to Orange County. What a glutton for punishment. That place is gone, gone, gone to the dogs.
Heh. I had the choice of moving from the SF Bay Area to Minnesota or LA when I was job hunting years ago. The fact that I did not at the time know how to drive meant that I was willing to learn to like the winter. I don't regret my decision one bit, but I know folks who feel the same way about the Midwest.
Me parece que la carta fue redactada en ingles originalmente. Vaya mal castellano.
I think I have a crush on S.R. I had never read him but when I was in Nicaragua a few months ago, and could not figure out what was going on (bajo la superficie 'democratica' yace, mas vivo que nunca, el somocismo), I really wished for an intellectual native guide.
Then I came across his long essay Adios muchachos, which explained a lot. So Ramirez was my imaginary friend, sort of, for the rest of the trip. When I couldn't figure things out I would look for clues in Ramirez texts, and usually, I would find something enlightening.
When I got home I signed the guestbook on his website, and he himself sent me an e-mail to say thanks for the visit; this was charming.
I am trying to read Margarita esta linda la mar now, but I keep getting sidetracked due to local static.
P.S. Did you notice that Daniel Ortega is supporting the proposed draconian abortion ban in Nicaragua?
What got me about the letter was mailed out on a forged letterhead. Barbara Coe and her group had nothing to do with it (The mailing house apparently verified that) yet she has recieved death threats. - Tan Nguyen claims to have known nothing of the letter (We shall see) and fired the person who supposedly did mail it out.
Chances are the name on the letter is phony as well. I would not bother Googling it and expect to come up with the real perp...
Hmmm. Forged letterheads through the U.S. Post Office. Can anyone say, "Felony"?
If if is discovered Tan knew of it in advance then toss him out on his ear (plus charges if any) but in the interim I'm hoping that Barbara Coe is being protected and the death threats are being looked into.
- prying1 in So Cal -
I"m afraid I'm not close enough to the story to know whether or not Barbara Coe was involved (although it seems like an in-house deal to me), but it seems unlikely, and I would be sorry to hear that she has been harrassed even if it had been her idea.
The Sergio Ramirez thing is more or less an in-joke among some of us literary scholars; he's someone known and admired in lefty Latin American circles as a Sandinista revolutionary, a true defender of democracy in Nicaragua, and a great Latin American writer. We didn't expect the name was really that of the author; it's just hilarious that his name was used.
Post a Comment