
UPDATE: new links to articles!
Blas is quoted in this article from a Spanish newspaper, explaining the research he and his groups are doing in Spain, taking samples of water and the sediments at the bottoms of seven lakes in order to understand climate change. In the article (in Spanish) he explains how this type of geological research (limnology) is used to map climate changes in the past 40,000 years (paleoclimatology). To understand some of the things that might happen with rapid climate change today, scientists are mapping climate change over very long periods to see what happened when there were sudden climate changes in the past, without human influence. This information can help us understand better what will happen with the climate changes we are undergoing now, with the crucial difference that the current situation is created by human activity. This article gives an excellent summary of the project, involving collaboration between Spanish scientists and scientists here in Minnesota. Here is another article with an interview about the work of his group in Lake Enol.
This picture is from an excursion to core a lake (take a sample of the sediment by sending down a log tube from a floating platform) in Rapa Nui (Easter Island). If I had time today, would translate, but I have to finish a project this morning!
2 comments:
Hi! I just wanted to say thanks for the link to my site on your latest post...( I would have dropped a comment but it looks like they are disabled on that post).
I've been to a presentation by Tim Wise and I've read one of his books. He's got some some good stuff for white folks who want to work against racism. It's a lot of the same stuff that folks of color have been saying for a long time, but like Wise says, white folks listen to what other white folks have to say because of a shared experience.
Hi, Eric. Thanks for stopping by! I'm not sure why comments weren't enabled, but I fixed that, and acknowledged you in the post, which I should have done the first time around.
Post a Comment