I adore Lucinda Williams and her music, and after three years of trying, I finally was able to get tickets to her show tonight at the State Theater. Her band was hot, hot, hot, and she was in great form, mixing up new songs from her latest release "West" with some well-loved selections from her middle albums. At the end of her show, she covered a great delta blues number, "killing floor" and the Bobby Gentry ballad Ode to Billie Jo
Here's a promo video from West, with the song "All you alright?"
"you took my joy, I want it back"
World Without Tears is one of my favorites, although she didn't play it tonight.
She did "over time" and it gave me goosebumps
this was the last song of the show, dedicated to Paul Westerberg.
Here are the lyrics to my favorite song (so far) off the new album "west"-the song is "Unsuffer me" and she introduced it as a spiritual song:
Artist/Band: Williams Lucinda
Lyrics for Song: Unsuffer Me
Lyrics for Album: West
Unlock my love
and set me free
come fill me up
with ecstasy
surround my heartbeat
with your fingertips
unbound my feet
untie my wrists
come in to my world
of loneliness
and wickedness
and bitterness
Unlock my love
Unsuffer me
Take away the pain
Unbruise unbloody
Wash away the stain
Anoint my head
With your sweet kiss
My joy is dead
I long for bliss
I long for knowledge
Whisper in my ear
Undo my logic, undo my fear
Unsuffer me
Unlock my love
And set me free
come fill me up
with ecstasy
unsuffer me
Take away the pain
Unbruise unbloody
Wash away the stain
surround my heartbeat
with your fingertips
unbound my feet
untie my wrists
come in to my world
of loneliness
and wickedness
and bitterness
Anoint my head
With your sweet kiss
My joy is dead
I long for bliss
I long for knowledge
Whisper in my ear
Undo my logic, undo my fear
Unsuffer me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad you got in. I have never seen her in person. She sings about our local stretch of I-10, but she is always just out of reach, it seems. At Jazzfest her time slot conflicts with Van Morrison's, and a few other peoples', it is going to be hard to figure out what to go to ... and the basis of the decision may be how the crowds flow or do not flow. I'll let you know!
Well, Van Morrison is worth the trip, but I'll tell you, the band she is touring with is incredible, and she is able to do as many things with her voice in person as she does on her records. She is a real musician's musician.
Post a Comment