Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Eshleman and Vallejo

Clayton Eshleman read from his work today at the bookstore Magers and Quinn. His reading was sponsored by RainTaxi, a fabulous quarterly review of books published locally. RainTaxi hosts an annual Book Fest, a great event. Earlier in the day, Eshleman gave a talk on his translations of the poetry of Vallejo. This text on "Intensidad y altura" (in fascicle) is an example of his process that he shared with us today.
This evening he read some of his translations from The Complete Poetry of Cesar Vallejo: A Bilingual Edition, which has just been published by the University of California Press, as well as his own poetry. The event warmed my heart on an evening when snow is falling once again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snow: that explains our cool rain here, it is as though time were running backward.

momo said...

It's that snow on the tulips thing that happens here in April sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, I had not looked at Facsicle for some time. I think I should get serious about this Garcia Lorca translation and send it to them, annotated or commentated. So, who said blogging impeded research?

Abadiebitch said...

I have always been quite dumb about the labor of translation until the last few years. During my research and following paper on The Odyssey I have learned that a translation can make or break a point. LOL! And there are some translations that are better than others for sure.

A little off the subject, but a few years back when I wanted to do a research paper on Madame Bovary, I wished I knew French. The analysis that seemed better suited for my thesis were all written in French. sigh. I finally gave up on that topic because of it.

Professor Zero said...

HAH, CM you've got to learn French, especially if you're going to specialize in the 19th century novel, as I sometimes think you are ... in Louisiana we are supposedly getting college level French immersion ...

momo said...

One of my favorite papers in college was a comparison of three translations of a passage from the Bible. Today, I was seriously thinking of translation projects that should happen, and thinking I might try my hand at it, although who knows if I would be any good.
CM, French is fun!

Anonymous said...

Well, JoannaO, it could be your new identity. I find I can still translate, annotate, and hack code even when I don't have the concentration powers for other writing ... and oddly, an annotated translation I published just for the heck of it (I had made the translation and notes for my own use, and then thought other people might have use for it too) is one of my most popular texts!