Monday, May 21, 2007

Frida Kahlo show comes to the Walker Art Center in October

Frida's coming to the Walker! Here's the press release:

Frida Kahlo Centennial Exhibition to Premiere at Walker Art Center and Travel to Philadelphia and San Francisco

In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo (1907–1954), the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, in association with the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA), will present a major exhibition of the artist’s paintings spanning her career. Curated by art historian and world-renowned Kahlo biographer Hayden Herrera and Walker Associate Curator Elizabeth Carpenter, Frida Kahlo premieres at the Walker October 27, 2007–January 20, 2008, before traveling to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and SFMOMA.

Few artists have captured the public’s imagination with the force of Frida Kahlo. Making clear her powerful influence on artists working today, Frida Kahlo will include some 50 paintings from the very beginning of her career in 1926 to the year of her death in 1954. While concentrating on Kahlo’s hauntingly seductive and often brutal self-portraits, it also will include those particular portraits and still lifes which amplify her own sense of identity. As Kahlo’s artistic practice progressed, her images grew in confidence and complexity, reflecting both her private obsessions and political concerns.

In addition to the paintings, the exhibition will feature iconic images of Frida Kahlo by preeminent photographers of the period from the Vicente Wolf Photography Collection as well as personal snapshots with family and friends from the artist’s own photo albums, some of which have never before been published or exhibited. The photographs pose fascinating questions about an artist who was both the consummate manufacturer of her own image and a beguiling and willing photographic subject.

A major publication with newly commissioned essays, bibliography, exhibition history, and illustrated timeline, will accompany the exhibition.

Exhibition Tour

Premiere
Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota
October 27, 2007–January 20, 2008

Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mid-February–Mid-May, 2008

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, California
June 14–September 16, 2008


Because Frida Kahlo was born in 1907, 100 years ago, Frida fans world-wide are oganizing an amazing array of artistic events inspired by her life, her work, and her myths. The most up-to-date news about all things Frida can be found at the website Frida Kahlo and Contemporary Thought, as usual. It is a fan site, and posts a disclaimer about not being official, but I have found it endlessly useful and fascinating, and I thank the site owner Daniela Falini for her labor of love. The site functions with frames, so you can't link directly to the sub-categories, but here is a list: I encourage Frida fans to explore the links in the side bar:
  • Frida news (archives going back to the year 2000)
  • Frida paintings (including both online sites and museum sites)
  • Frida cult (which is currently featuring news about the 2007 centennary shows world-wide)
  • a brief biography
  • some critical essays
  • "the most complete bibliography on the Web"
  • Frida and the contemporary arts (dance, theater, fashion, cinema) comics about Frida; exhibitions (permanent and temporary)
  • "friends" which has a host of related links.

2 comments:

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

You have Frida, we have Al Gore coming. Alas I cannot see him. Whenever events are in L.A. and start at 7:00pm or later it is just too late for the drive.

When I think of Frida, I think of this gay guy I worked with in 93-94 at a dept store, mens department. He had a Frida knock off hanging in his living room. Maybe it was a print. I doubt it. He would talk about Frida as if she was his best friend. Oh, he was from Mexcio, maybe there was a connection in his family. And not sure, he was zany. One time, he told me he needed to go cross town (Houston). I had a car, he did not. He gave me some excuse, someone was sick, needed food, something that pulled at my heartstrings. He was a good drive. When we got there, he told me to wait in the car. I waited for like 30 minutes. Then we he comes back, we drive off and get on the freeway, he pulls out a bag of weed! He was in there testing it before he bought it. UGH!

Good ol' Alberto!

momo said...

Lots of people have that relationship with Frida. Her story provides a kind of screen on which folks project their own stories, or she becomes symbolic of something important to them.
I'm working on setting up some opportunities between the museum and the place where I teach for activities for students.

Oh the charming moocher co-workers! I've known a few.