My rotator cuff tendonitis coupled with my fibromyalgia has meant that this semester my normal levels of chronic pain have shot way up. It's bad when I just wake up--I spend about half an hour stretching gently in bed, and that helps, but the pain in my shoulder is acute, and doesn't respond to that. After five o'clock at night, I'm in agony. It's hard to be completely present to my child, continue working, or enjoy time with friends when you're in pain. Some things it hurts too much to do: tuck in my shirt in back, put deodorant on my left armpit, write on the blackboard, raise my right arm above shoulder height, carry things with my right hand or arm, put on and take off my clothes, doing dishes, carrying in groceries, carrying laundry downstairs, putting it in and out of the washer and dryer, getting dressed, wiping a counter. I'm turning fifty, not eighty, but my body feels old and crippled.
I'm going to ask the guys to clean my house as my birthday present. Isn't that pathetic?
I have been seeing a physical therapist, and that has helped a little, but the screwed-up thing about constant pain is that it wears down your body and then it wears down your spirit. I'm starting to get to that well-known point where I am having difficulty coping on a daily level. The shoulder pain has meant that the usual exercise that I do to manage the fibromyalgia pain is out, and the fibromyalgia means that I am hyper-sensitive to the shoulder inflammation and slow to heal. I hate the fact that it is preventing me from keeping my house clean (vacuuming is probably the worst for fibro), and it even hurts to write on the blackboard in class. About once a day, I manage to move my arm is such a way that the shoulder joint pinches the muscles and tendons so hard, I want to cry.
The shoulder pain has become so bad this week that there are times when I can hardly bear it. Icing, pain relievers, the exercises my therapist has recommended, all are a small help, but the need to work so many hours in the last several weeks has me feeling as if I'm sliding back rather than making progress. I'm starting to lose brain function from lack of sleep: I blank out on words, my memory is shot, I react sluggishly. Most distressing is that this kind of pain and fatigue can also kick me into a mental space that I've worked hard to leave: cranky, paranoid, snappish. That's scary.
Then there's the fact that the shoulder pain interferes more with sleep, which causes the fibromyalgia to flare up, so that now I have returned to the state where I feel as if someones has been beating me with a stick--everything hurts, all over, but my hands, arms, shoulders, neck, face and upper back are either aching all the time, or feel as if they are laced with barbed wire.
Ironically enough, I'm actually very happy these days. That's the paradox of the physiology of pain-induced depression; I love what I'm doing at work, my family is wonderful, I wake up thankful for my good fortune. But the pain acts as a curtain that I have to push aside, separating me from myself. I'm familiar with this cycle. If something doesn't happen soon to improve the pain situation, I risk falling into the hole of exhaustion and the effects on mood that this brings.
I don't have many people I can talk to about this because frankly, who wants to hear about it? I suffer from the hyper-competent single mother complex as well: if I don't do it, nobody will. That's not actually true, but it's hard to let go of that mind-set.
Coping strategies for the day: hot bath, walk around the neighborhood to buy birthday presents, gentle stretches, ice shoulder, eat healthy food, breathe, leave work until tomorrow. Long term: see my doctor again, try to get back to twice a week with PT, mental health therapist, massage. All those things take time from work. So I will need to talk with my department chair to document my situation, not something I look forward to doing.
Good news: I got a paper accepted to a conference in Ireland! Bad news: I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to write it.
/pity party>
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Hmm...
This does not sound good...
Hope you see your department chair to make it clear what is going on.
A suggestion. Have you ever tried voice recognition programs? I have in the past and it was "almost" there but I could still do things faster manually. However, in your situation
it might allow you to be more productive if you could get it to work.
Just a thought.
Bonzo
Thanks, Mr. B. My department chair is aware of my general situation, but not of the flare-up. I have been thinking about voice recognition software for the long term. I'm also going to be learning about podcasting, and I'm thinking about ways to incorporate it into my teaching.
Dolorosos tiempos vecina. En las últimas semanas hemos ido tan liados que casi ni hemos hablado, la semana pasada nos dimos cuenta de que ya habías quitado los aparatos de aire acondicionado...dinos como te podemos echar una mano y lo haremos encantados. Mientras tanto ánimo seguro que llegarán momentos de alivio.
I’m so sorry it does sound like you are in pain. I know to a certain extent, I started having nightmares about not being able to walk again because of the pain in my back. Luckily, it seems like daily walks to the beach and on the beach are beginning to loosen something up, but oh boy if I miss a day or two.
Have you considered a pain management clinic? Not one that gives you narcotics but try other methods. My husband had to go to one for his back. For a while (two years) I did not think he was ever going to get better. But he did. They had to inject some type of steroid buffer or something like that where the pain was the most painful.
I met a lot of people at that pain clinic while I would wait for him. I felt so helpless not being able to do or suggest anything to the people who were obviously hurting. I can imagine how physical pain takes its toll on your psyche and daily functions. Perhaps you can hire out as much as you all can afford. Make those PT appointments though for sure. I’m sorry.
I've heard good things about those steroid buffers. But s***, at this point I'd be thinking about Vicadin or some real morphine. No kidding. When I had my infamous Broken Arm (from which I am still recovering from nerve damage and it has been 5 years) I got 30 days worth of morphine pills and it was fantastic. Made me functional, which made me positive. And no I did not become a junkie, or have withdrawal symptoms when they ran out.
Thank you, kind friends, for sympathy and advice. I'm realizing that I've been too passive about this problem. Tomorrow I will be scheduling an appointment with a specialist because this first attempt at treatment is not working for the right arm the way it did for the left arm (and apparently these things tend to come one after the other). It my be that a more aggressive PT schedule will help. I have a good friend who had a go-round with this, so I'll call him for his doctor recommendation. In any event, Ana and Jose have volunteered to help me clean my house, bless them!
Walking on the sand, I love it. Just thinking about it makes my legs feel better!
Here is ammunition (as if one needed any) on why one should sleep. It comes from a UCB scientist.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleid=CDEFA259-E7F2-99DF-311007C6099FD8A2&chanId=sa017
Does your faculty ID let you into the university gym and if so does it have a steam sauna or a jacuzzi?
"to lose brain function from lack of sleep: I blank out on words, my memory is shot, I react sluggishly. Most distressing is that this kind of pain and fatigue can also kick me into a mental space that [is] cranky, paranoid, snappish"
I do this a lot and for no good reason ... or actually for a convoluted one, to try to reduce energy levels, enthusiasm and intellect so as to better fit into life!
Having renounced this rather anorexic life strategy I still have not given up the sleepless habit, and it really is just a habit. Now that you put it as "losing brain function" I'll take it seriously.
I hope you get some pain relief *this week not next*.
My action steps: new PT appointments, dental appointment to deal with toothache, orthopedic consult to try new treatment for shoulder.
Big surprise when I came home tonight: my daughter and her dad had vacuumed the house, washed the floors, and cleaned the junk off the porch. I just have to remember to ASK FOR HELP.
frankly, who wants to hear about it? Your friends want to hear about it, and they'll be pissed off if you don't tell them. Best wishes, j
Post a Comment