Fresca has watched all of Star Trek ("The Original Series" or TOS as I see it is called!), and wrote this fascinating post about the whole genre of K/S slash fiction. This reminded me of a very long graduate student conversation in a cheap restaurant on Telegraph avenue about why women wrote these fantasies. I've been talking to some graduate students lately about Carlos Monsiváis, Roger Bartra, and the mixed feelings that some academics have about popular culture. Monsiváis is both a fan and a cheerful analyst while others either don't experience the pleasures of pop culture or feel they must hide it.
In Fresca's honor, I post this Carol Burnett parody of Star Trek, in which something odd happens to the crew:
And this version by In Living Color, with Jim Carrey as Captain Kirk, is more daring than anything on TV these days:
And here is "The Really Last Voyage"
t
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Bless you! You have made a demented Star Trek fan very happy!!!
When [Farra]Khan says to Uhura, "Oh! My Nubian princess! How long have you placed his calls?" and Carol Burnett as Capt.Kirk says "he" is starting to crave low-fat yogurt, I thought, how can this not deserve an academic field all its own???
(After I stopped gasping with laughter.)
A little missed opportunity in the Living Color skit: George Takei (Sulu) is gay, so that could have been part of his rant, not that he want the women Kirk gets. But whatever.
I think slash strikes us as odd, if it does, mostly because we are still so unused to hearing about women's sexual desires from their/our own mouths. (Shoes, maybe; sex, no.) Do we ask, why do men write Westerns? Well, yeah, maybe we do! These are great questions, if we are "cheerful analysts" who grant, first off, that these endeavors are fun, not deviant per se--I'll have to check out the guys you mention.
Thanks very much, again!
Post a Comment