After the movie Buena Vista Social Club made such a splash in 1999, Cuban music lovers in the cold Twin Cities had the fabulous opportunity to see shows on tours of artists like Eliades Ochoa
Omara Portuondo and Ibrahim Ferrer
, the jazz group Irakere, which has been through several incarnations; I saw their 1994 tour:
But after 2003, with the clampdown on issuing visas to Cubans, the tours dried up. We could enjoy the music of Cuban musicians now living in the Twin Cities area, such as Nachito Herrera, former musical director of Cubanissimo, who plays often at The Dakota.
I'm thrilled that producer Juan de Marco invited him to tour with the a "supergroup" of Cuban musicians called the Afro Cuban All Stars, uniting musicians who live abroad but are part of the Cuban musical world.
Tonight they'll be at Orchestra Hall, and I have a ticket! Here's the line up:
Juan de Marcos Gonzáles, band leader, tres • Evelio Galan, lead singer*José Gil Pinera, lead singer • Emilio Suárez, lead singer • Igort Rivas, trumpet *Yaure Muniz, trumpet, flugelhorn • Miguelito Valdes de la Hoz, trumpet, flugelhorn *Jorge Reiner Ardiles, trombone • Alberto “Molote” Martinez, trombone
Alberto Pantaleon Hernandez, bass • Jose “Pepito” Espinosa, bongos, cowbell*Miguelito Valdés Aballi, congas • Calixto Oviedo, drum, timbale*Ignacio “Nachito” Herrera, piano
It's likely that the ushers will not allow dancing in the aisles, so we may have to chair dance instead, but I plan to groove.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah yes--Orchestra Hall, a ridiculous place to see dancing music, but better than nothing. I went to see an Irish dance band there once and it was painful NOT to dance--or even to stand up, as everyone around me was sitting politely and I was way too shy to face Scandinavian scorn.
Have fun!
Post a Comment