Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I don't *heart* St Patrick's day

I loathe the green beer binge drinking version of St Patrick's day that afflicts us ever year. My father's family is of Irish descent and their story is fairly typical: part of the wave of immigrants in the mid to late 19th century (when about a third of immigrants to the U.S. were from Ireland), settled in New York and eventually ended up as police and firefighters, except for my grandfather, who became a dentist. He and his wife had social pretentions that some would label "lace curtain" Irish.

Both of my parents fled their East Coast ethnic enclaves when they left New York and moved to San Francisco. As a result, I didn't grow up in contact with any relatives or a community--we moved often. But certain Irish and Italian gestures, ways of thinking and acting, were handed on as an invisible legacy. One element that was most openly Irish was the music. Songs that told stories fascinated me, as did Tommy Makem's thrilling vibrato.

The Irish republican songs (no, not like U.S. Republican, more like Up the IRA="freedom fighters" throw-out-the-British) influenced my later studies of colonialism as the case of AngloNorman/English/British colonization of Ireland (800 years) and the "troubles" in Northern Ireland stood out as a particularly painful and intractable situation.

Irish independence is still new. The oral history of Robert Emmet's 1803 speech from the dock is still a living memory. In this press conference on the Ken Loach film The Wind That Shakes The Barley the actors tell how they grew up with the echoes and the presence of the struggle for independence earlier in the century; the Black and Tans burned Cork City in December 1920. This conflict continues to be played out in our days in the six counties in the North that are still part of the U.K. Since the 1997 Good Friday agreements, a difficult but growing consensus for peaceful negotiations and co-government has emerged. The most recent act of violence has been roundly condemned by Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein, both in Northern Ireland and in the U.S. havens formerly nostalgic for a romantic nationalism (such as Boston), maintaining the policy of renouncing violence as a means to political ends. The 1997 film The Boxer by Jim Sheridan shows how hard it is for and embattled people to give up the myths and structures that have enabled their very survival and resistance and yet how necessary it is that they do so. Part of me hates to see this complex and compelling history reduced to an excuse to get as drunk as possible. But I also want to steer clear of what the Irish call being a "Plastic Paddy" so if we must celebrate inebriation, here are some great Irish drinking songs! My very favorite is Johnny McEldoo because it is also about food.

Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers "Whiskey You're the Devil"

The Pogues, "Streams of Whiskey"
"
Ronnie Drew of The Dubliners talks with the Clancy Brothers and

singing one of those grimly funny songs that fascinated me when I was a kid.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember the full lyrics to one of the songs sung in my family ... it isn't on Google. It's about starvation (which had come "to plunder and to ravish") and how the clan fought it. It ends:

Starvation had a son
Who married Noah's daughter
Swore he'd stop the flood
By drinking all the water
This he would have done
I really do believe it
If the water'd had
Some whiskey to relieve it.

*

Trivia: what we caught in the parade = 1 carrot, 1 cabbage, 1 green goblet, 1 bar Irish Spring soap.

momo said...

I don't know if they'll throw things from our parade!
At first you song reminded me of "Courting in the Kitchen" with the meter, but I managed to find
what I think is the origin of your song: the Book of Ballads, a set of parodies of popular poetry from the mid-19th century, was apparently quite successful. My guess is that some of the words got stuck into a popular ballad. Or vice versa.


135

VI.

" I am fery glad

To learn what you mention,
Since I can prevent

Any such intention."
So Mhic-Mac-Methuselah

Gave some warlike howls,
Trew his skhian-dhu,

An stuck it in his powels.

VII.

In this fery way

Tied ta faliant Fhairshon,
Who was always thought

A superior person.
Fhairshon had a son,

Who married Noah*s daughter,
And nearly spoiled ta Flood,

By trinking up ta water.

VIII.

Which he would have done,

I at least pelieve it,
Had ta mixture peen

Only half Glenlivat
This is all my tale :

Sirs, I hope 't is new t' ye !
Here 's your fery coot healths,

And tamn ta whisky tuty !

a bit gets published in "quips and quiddities"
http://www.archive.org/stream/quipsquidditiesq00adamuoft/quipsquidditiesq00adamuoft_djvu.txt

Anonymous said...

OMG that is hilarious and it makes it Scottish right? Glenlivet? (But there are verses about vipers, so maybe it's Scots-Irish, ha!) Now I must go to that link.

Anonymous said...

Ah - lost my comment (electricity blinked) but I'm going to the link!!!!

TFLS said...

Brilliant post, Momo. My heritage is Irish too - so I could really relate to everything you had to say. Funny thing - I performed 'Courting In The Kitchen' while a member of my local Macra na Ferma dramatics club. I attended Secondary School in Ireland (equivalent to our High School). We performed it as part of an entry into that year’s Eurovision Song Contest. We never made it past our particular county's winnowing process - but I managed to hit the regionals as a soloist, before losing out to a lass singing something tragic in Gaelic. I wrote a bit about the experience some time back (the whole Ireland adventure, actually). Amazing what sticks with a person – even after the passage of years. In many ways we ARE our heritage; or at least that part of it we were raised by. Ireland and Irish to me meant arts and academia, fairies and the devil – morosity as a way of life. We’re a mournful lot, we Irish. It’s in the tenor of our music (almost all composed in a minor key), the wistfulness of our poetry – the resilience of our people despite overwhelming odds. I am in many ways as my mother made me (unfortunately) – yet my ability to survive the un-survivable comes from her as well (something I applaud). So happy (belated) St. Patrick’s Day, my dear.

momo said...

It's good to hear from you again! I will check out your stories.
It's funny, I felt more of a longing to connect with my mother's Italian heritage when growing up, but have ended up reading a lot of Irish writing, and finally spend a few days in Cork City last year. It's such a mixed heritage, with the best and the worst. I finally got around to reading Angela's Ashes, utterly harrowing.