I am absolutely fascinated by this video: it's a sampler of rap in 30 languages from all around the world. A testament to the power of hip hop culture as a world-wide phenomenon, it also shows--ever so briefly--how languages with different sounds, rhythms, and tone systems have taken what young people identify as some of the basic elements of rap, and made them fit their own circumstances. I would so love to have an idea of WHAT they are singing about!
The YouTube info lists the 30 languages and identifies most (but not all) of the artists. Two notes: the language identified as simply Chinese is, I believe, Mandarin Chinese (because Cantonese is a Chinese languge too). And there is no language called "Swiss" so I suspect it is Swiss-German but I have to listen again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The segment id'ed as Chinese is indeed Mandarin.
The Hungarian (?) bit had some tight beats, and Spanish (or Portuguese?) had some great old-school Wu Tang production -- nice find!
Post a Comment