I just got my very first crockpot! I come from a non-crockpot family, and have never used one before, yet I am surrounded by Midwestern crockpot fanatics. The other day I got one at Target, and I am in love! Why did it take me so long to try this out? After all, I love my rice cooker, my toaster oven, and my Coleman grill. Maybe it's because I have such strong memories of slow cooking in a Dutch oven or stockpot from home and in my own experience that it didn't seem right to do it another way.The two dishes I have prepared so far are:
black beans: soaked the dry beans overnight, then cooked them with carrots, onion, garlic, herbs, ham hock, water.
garbanzos: Ditto.
Notice a trend here? both times, the results were delicious, but I wanted to try something different, and I am all out of ham hocks, so right now I am cooking a pork roast I rubbed with garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, to which I added some tomato paste, a little water, carrots, half a bottle of dark beer and some tangy Asian condiment I had lying around in the fridge. It smells delicious and looks good, but I was wondering if you, oh gentle readers, would be so kind as to share a crock pot idea or favorite in the comments? Please?
Yes, I know there are a gazillion web sites out there with crock pot recipes, including this intriguing blog by Stephanie O'Dea with a 365-day challenge to use the crockpot every day (and then write the book Make It Fast, Cook it Slow) but I don't want just ANY recipes, I want those that have pleased you!
6 comments:
This is interesting. I can't get crock pot recipes to taste the same as regular ones -- all mine taste like steam table food. My cooking partner does a little better but I can still taste the steam table in his. What are we doing wrong?
If you take the time to sautée your ingredients first (brown meat, onions, whatever), that helps. And the quantities of liquids or seasonings may differ from your usual recipe because food will release liquids and simmer. So I imagine one should prefer recipes that are supposed to be slow-cooked/soupy/stewy to begin with so as to not expect something roasted. Frankly, there are some things that are only good if they are cooked a different way, which is why I'm looking for crockpot recipes that people have tried. One thing someone made recently that was great was pulled pork.
Crockpot pulled pork, that is very interesting. Sauteeing, I'll try it, that might help. :-)
Pulled pork, very interesting, also sauteeing, hadn't tried that for crock pots. :-)
i've been using the rice cooker for a few things, including today's mac & cheese. everyone liked it!
Joanna - long time no talk...couldn't resist a contribution to the crock pot (avowed user for years).
Pat the meat dry. Rub in spices/salt - pepper, garlic, onion powder...
In a pan, caramelize onions if desired. Braise the meat before adding to avoid a grey meat experience, absolutely.
In chunks, add veggies/fruit as desired (carrots, tomatoes...greens like broccoli should be added after cooking is mostly done and generally should be served blanched and tossed in).
If beef, add about 2 cups beef broth; chicken broth for chicken.
Add bay leaf, spice to complement meat (oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary...). Top off with water, but it shouldn't crest the food.
Set to high, should be done in 3-4 hours at the most. Set to low, come home after work for dinner.
Add ins:
Quinoa - add about 30 minutes max before you will serve.
Barley - can add with original ingredients or 30min-1hr before serving, depending on how soft you prefer.
Rice - same as barley, but give it an hour.
Potatoes - go in with original ingredients, in chunks.
Beans: If you soak overnight, dried beans can be added in the beginning, making sure you have enough water and set to high. It will take longer. Cooked beans can be added at any time, usually in the beginning.
As you can tell, I'm not wedded to a specific recipe. I think one of the nicest things about a crock pot is the ability to clear out a pantry and serve a hearty meal in the process. It is a modern hobo pot.
Post a Comment