Saturday, May 08, 2010

Intertia/purpose

I strongly identify with Ferdinand the bull (the pacifist, gender non-conforming bull). Sitting under my favorite cork tree, smelling the flowers, is much more my style than completing a project, hence the tendency to live with piles of stuff. Yet part of me craves minimalism, more and more.

I used to think that if I just bought the right book about organizing things, that it would help me get rid of the clutter in my life. I have several of these books now! And, to some extent, over the past few years, I have made progress in combating my tendency toward inertia, because the clutter bothers me. So, now that I have taught my last class, and have a few days before I have to start grading, I'm thinking about SPRING CLEANING. I want to sort, purge, recycle, give away, clean up, de-clutter, minimize! After I get off the couch.

(Munro Leaf wrote the book in 1932, and Robert Larson's illustrations captivated me as a child. I was sure that corks grew on trees in bunches).

1 comment:

Fresca said...

One of my favorite childhood books---even as a kid I remember thinking is was subversive (I mean, it seemed sort of "naughty" to me).

I always think that the cover of books and magazines about Living Simply should say right on the cover:
Warning: This Book IS Clutter.