Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne 1917-2010

I knew Lena Horne on TV in the 60s and 70s from her TV performances on Bill Cosby and variety shows. But it wasn't until a friend gave me a CD of from the early years of her career that I truly appreciated her amazing talent. It is one of my very favorite recordings, one I sang along to in the car countless times, trying in vain to emulate the wonderful timing, the subtle nuances of her interpretations, the ease and suppleness of that amazing voice. A singer's singer: impeccable on every level. The early voice was like "honey and bourbon" according to one critic. She was the first black woman in films to be portrayed as glamorous. Yet she also knew that many of her films were shot so that her scenes could be cut out when they were screened in the South. She was blacklisted during the McCarthy era, and for years her public persona was withdrawn and "icy". Yet when you see her interviewed in later years, her sweetness and peace are evident.

I absolutely adore her rendition of "Where or When,"

Here she performs a Kris Kristofferson song in 1973.

Here's a great interview with Lena Horne on the Rosie O'Donnell show when she was 80:


I had never seen this until today. My tears are flowing. Lena Horne navigated a complicated and often lonely path in her career through the racism of our society, and was a fierce advocate of the dignity and rights of all people.



The Auteurs blog has an excellent link-heavy appreciation of Lena Horne's film career.

No comments: