If you can get space, you can watch the ceremony at the other end of the lake. It's always the same theme: the creatures of the earth and the may tree are driven underground or imprisoned by the anti-natural forces of greed or injustice. The the four elements--the giant puppets--emerge and call for the sun to return. The sun travels across the lake, pulled by canoes with conch shells and drums sounding.
We wait, we wait, and every year, the sun returns.
The giant tree of life is resurrected, and we sing. This year, I was close enough to catch glimpses, but too short (as always) to see everything. That's OK, because I've seen it so many times now.
I have some fun video clips but I need to upload them to YouTube.
3 comments:
It's funny---I don't like going to May Day but I always love people's photos of it!
Thanks for these.
(I'm liking your tumblr blog too!)
I remember the Msy Day brew-ha-ha so vividly from my Mpls. days. Miss that city! The scene surrounding the neighborhood parks was so lively.
The people watching is the best part for me. I got to get my spiritual batteries recharged.
Post a Comment