Johnny and I took a walk by Lake Merritt on Sunday, the first day of the month. Along with a row of cormorants, we saw this sleeping bird and turtle. After brunch, we walked up to the Rose Garden and admired a very nonchalant turkey couple.
I assume this guy is used to being hand-fed, because he let us get right up next to him.
I went over to mom's and helped her clean out her storage room and dispose of some junk. We did not have a talk. I was able to be calm and pleasant. Major accomplishment, yay me.
Last week, I followed through on my intention to start an allergy elimination diet that will also help me jump-start my weight-loss goals. I have stopped eating dairy ( no milk in my coffee! no cheese or yogurt! no cereal!), alcohol, gluten, rice and beans, soy, and added sugar. I'm eating meat, fruit, and vegetables (including plantain and beet chips from the Berkeley Bowl). I am allowing myself the treat of two chocolate-covered macadamia nut treats a day from the box Cindy and Chuck gave me, so that I don't go crazy and rebel. So far, I have lost a couple of pounds, even if my bathroom scale is from the stone age. The idea is that if I can lose a pound a week, I will lose 30 lbs in 30 weeks, which puts me at my target in late spring. I don't need to go back to my original weight, but I would like to be more fit and not have my feet hurt.
I have also been eating in moderation. That's the key. I am really enjoying my salads, and today I will go back to the Berkeley Bowl to get more groovy salad fixings (endive, frisee, arugula, cherry tomatoes, avocado, pea pods).
This week, I also renew my commitment to walk every day. Last week, I missed a few days because of excessive heat, but the last stretch was good. My walks over the the West Library are a good stretch.
At least fifteen minutes a day (and more if I can) will will do some kind of Japanese or Korean language study. This includes using the phone app for hiragana/katakana practice, and writing out the hangul of dialogues or kpop song lyrics.
Yesterday, I resisted the urge to substitute buying more Japanese textbooks for actually using the ones I already have.
This week I will:
practice time expressions in Korean and Japanese;print out the new will and other documents;get new earbuds;do a financial inventory;- read the graphic novels and comics from the library:
- X Gabrielle Bell, Everything is Flammable
- X Satoshi Kon, Opus
- X the three volumes of Naoki Urasawa's Monster (Perfect Edition)
- X Mimi Pond, The Customer is Always Wrong (read the first volume)
- Alvaro Enrigue, Sudden Death
WTh:
Age of Youth 2 (subbed/unsubbed)
also watched: DR Foster (BBC), Kekkon Shinai


No comments:
Post a Comment