Monday, September 18, 2006

The Blue House/La casa azul de Frida Kahlo


Amazingly enough, despite the fact that the Blue House has been a museum, tourist attraction, and destination for countless people over the years, it was only when it was being repaired that some rooms were opened and a treasure trove of objects were found: Frida's clothes, photographs by her father, objects that are familiar because they can be seen in paintings and photographs (earrings given to her by Picasso, for example). I plan to follow up on this story. Meanwhile, here is the Tate Modern's virtual tour of the Blue House.

Spanish-speaking readers can learn more about Frida from this wonderful illustrated chronology of her life by Susana Hermoso-Espinosa on Homines.com, a portal site with great articles on art and culture.
Artist Annie Gillingham has created a wonderful virtual Casa Azul, a site with reproductions of art by Frida Kahlo, but also art inspired by Frida's work and sections dedicated to other imporant women artists of Mexico, Remedios Varo and Leonor Cunningham.

La casa azul is the title of a theater piece, inspired by Frida's writings, written by Quebecoise Sophie Faucher and brought to the stage by reknowned theatrical creator Robert Lepage.


Here is a spectacular set of photos from the Flickr Frida and Diego pool. If you click on the photo during slide show, you can see information about the photographer and whatever caption or text has been provided about the image. There are some beautiful pictures of La casa azul itself, but also images of Trostky's house, the two connected houses built by Frida and Diego, and many photos of art and objects inspired by Frida and her work. I especially like the images of a bathroom in which a reproduction of What the Water Told Me is hung over the bathtub.

2 comments:

Professor Zero said...

Very interesting post, and I realize by looking that it's the casa azul look my grandmother had created, and that I'm trying to reproduce (although a friend tells me my house looks more like Isak Dinesen's would at this point).

Tech note: I'm at work where connectivity is bad and the only one of these links which comes through at all well is the Homines portal. That means, it has been very well designed.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thanks so much for all the wonderful links! The Flikr photos were amazing!! I must visit there one day. Right now I am working on an Altered Book on Frida and Diego.