Sunday, September 17, 2006

Is there a song that has made a difference in your life?

I found this video of a live Jeff Buckley performance by way of a post by Pachacutec on Firedoglake. Buckley is singing the Leonard Cohen song Hallelujah. Pachacutec's post is about how often we confuse asking hard questions with personal attacks. So many times, our righteous anger and pain about the state of the world can lead us to turn on each other rather than work together to bring to life our common goals. His words were particularly inspiring and necessary to me this weekend. And I love Leonard Cohen's words and music, and this song in particular. Finding it today has made me feel a sense of renewal.

Pachacutec also asked, as part of his post, which artists, too soon gone, inspire us? There are a lot of thoughtful answers in the comments, and more links that I intend to explore when I have the time. This question suggests another one to me: is there a song that made a difference in your life? Not necessarily your favorite song, but one that made you think about the world in a different way? I have very clear recollection of listening to a Joan Baez record when I was in first or second grade, the one with "Stewball," "There but for fortune," and "Birmingham Sunday." That last song had a huge impact on me. I remember vividly what it felt like, swinging on the playground at school, singing "Birmingham Sunday" to myself, thinking about the mysterious words ("the falcon of death was a creature they knew"--did that mean they knew the falcon was a creature? or that they knew the falcon?), I wondered why someone wanted to kill those four girls (girls, just like me) because they were black. I didn't understand much else about the song then, but I do remember clearly the powerful recognition that I a song could tell me something important about the world.

5 comments:

Professor Zero said...

Nick Cave, The Secret Life Of the Love Song/The Flesh Made Word. You too need it to teach intro. to lit., and spice up that Aproximaciones book. It talks about duende and saudade, Cohen, Dylan, Federico.

momo said...

I must seek this out at once! Need spice!

Professor Zero said...

Oh yes! And then, of course, I can't resist mentioning the wicked Harvard Lampoon parody of Baez on an album called Radio Dinner. It also has a parody of the Desiderata. Way irreverent.

momo said...

It's easy to parody early Joan, but I still love that voice!

Professor Zero said...

Yes, the voice. JB 5 was one of the albums I took to DK to be an exchange students (we were advised to take a few cultural artifacts from our home countries with us, and this was one of my choices). People said, but she could have been an opera singer! And I would say yes, and...?