Thursday, April 05, 2007

KFAI: Radio without boundaries


When I moved to Minnesota from Berkeley in 1988, one of the things I was afraid I would miss the most was my local community radio station, KPFA. I was so thrilled to discover the Twin Cities counterpart, KFAI, a radio station that has stuck with its mission of being a station by the people and for the people, supported by its listeners. It's where I can listen to the blues, cajun and zydeco music, music from Africa, programs in other languages, spoken word, jazz, folk music from around the world, the wildest new music of every genre, or hear a broadcast of Democracy Now! at noon (which my "public" radio station is too conservative and chicken-shit to broadcast). I have several of their mugs from their pledge drives. Here's what they say on their updated web page:
KFAI
Mission Statement KFAI is a volunteer-based community radio station that exists to broadcast information, arts and entertainment programming for an audience of diverse racial, social and economic backgrounds. By providing a voice for people ignored or misrepresented by mainstream media, KFAI increases understanding between peoples and communities, while fostering the values of democracy and social justice.
You can listen live, or check out their archives at their home page. One of my favorite shows is African Rhythms with Salif Keita and Charlie Sugnet.

2 comments:

Abadiebitch said...

(which my "public" radio station is too conservative and chicken-shit to broadcast).

Aint that the truth for so many venues these days! I think the term "American Taliban" is quite catchy.

Last night I listened to a radio show, and surprisely it was more tolerable than I thought. I probably should listen more. I guess I only associate the radio with long trips in the car, other than that it is usually off.

I am inspired.

momo said...

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot I like to listen to on both MPR and NPR, but they are increasingly becoming a platform for corporate advertising--it is more and more intrusive.

KPFA and KFAI can be listened to over the computer, and they have some great music shows.

Most of my radio listening is in the car, even if it is in 15 minute bursts, because I don't have a tape deck or CD player.