I want to start a blog to support the activities of a group of faculty and graduate students who came together for two workshops in our department this semester. I'm looking for models that are dynamic and easy to maintain.
One that I will look at more closely is an on-line journal called FLOWTV, hosted by UT Austin. Their latest issue looks fascinating: it is trilingual (English, Spanish, and Portuguese) and is a special issue on Latin American Media. It looks as if it will be very interesting in relation to my current project on how writers and intellectuals in Mexico are using the web. Check it out!
A different model is the one I've found at the University of Minnesota's Immigration History Research Center (IHRC) because it is a great resource. Their collection of working papers provides context for discussions of immigration headed by Donna Gabaccia. Although it is hard to find from their links list, the blog is called Contemporary Perpectives on Immigration. It's a great venue for posting short essays, but I notice that they do not have comments enabled, so there isn't a way to respond, unless you take part in their workshops or symposia. I plan to contact the Director of the Center, Donna Gabaccia, to ask her about how they are developing this model, hosted on the U's UThink Blog site (powered by Movable Type).
And just for fun, here's a link to another multilingual journal on-line, from Bordeaux in France: Lusotopie; it also has material on migration and media.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
For blogs, or rather, more general sites with archives of articles and other resources but also a with blog functionality, I'd also look at Feminist Reprise and Caribbean Free Radio. Both of these have their own domain names, with the blog as a subdirectory, e.g. http://www.caribbeanfreeradio.com/blog ,
http://www.feminist-reprise.org/blog/
Maybe also the websites of some of the LASA sections, and maybe Ciberallyu.
Post a Comment