NPR has a series called "This I believe", inspired by Edward R Murrow. This morning while I was making my coffee, I turned on the radio and caught this piece by singer-songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter. I happen to love her music, and I was distressed to hear that she had recently had a narrow escape from death; she suffered chest pains, and it turned out she had blood clots in her lungs. She wrote a piece about the aftermath of the experience, and the depression she suffered, her struggle to recover her connection with joy. Having experienced some similar struggles in my life (without the pulmonary embolism part), I was glad to be reminded that I, too, have found my way out of despair over illness through a practice of gratitude.Here's one from the original radio series in the 50s by dancer Martha Graham in which she talks about practice.
1 comment:
"bleeping fur monster"
This is pretty good.
Post a Comment