Friday, September 28, 2007

Annie Lennox's new CD

I got a ticket for Annie Lennox on Oct 18. I won't say how much I paid to get one of the best seats in the house, but let's just call it my birthday present to myself. She has always been one of my favorite artists, from the poppy days of Eurythmics to her solo albums. As much as her voice, I love her visual creativity, her use of costumes, wigs, make-up, story-telling, characters. The new album is called Songs of Mass Destruction.
Here's the video for her new single "It's a dark road"

2 comments:

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

I liked how the same movements continue from different scenes. I did not understand her point, is she criticizing the people or the government. Are we not paying enough to what we have or what happened? There was an eerie “God Bless America” thing going on. I think. It was confusing and my daughter was making fun of it while I was trying to watch. I have always liked Annie Lennox though. Lucky you!

momo said...

I'm not really sure--the lyrics without the images might sound like standard relationship stuff, but with the flag/iconic black and white images of non-heroic people, there are resonances of grief and anger, but it's not explicit that if it's about what the flag stands for, or what is should stand for, or what it used to stand for. It's as if Wonder Woman has to get ready for work, put on her costume, but she's not sure she can do the job. Who can she save if she can't get herself clean? I think it's saying something about moral confusion ("it didn't get there by itself").