Friday, September 21, 2007

Tornado warnings

Apparently, the pickets have been called off and the strikers are going to a meeting at noon to learn what happened at the negotiating table yesterday afternoon. I hope the news is good, but I'm not too optimistic. Unless all the calls people have been making to the Regents meant that they put some pressure on our arrogant "leaders" who seem to have been carrying out a personal vendetta against those who dare to cross them, not just the AFSCME workers.

In looking for updates on the strike, I have come across the blog of a colleague in the sciences called The Periodic Table. Reading back through older posts, I find his analysis life at the BigU in this Cold State to be right on the mark.

Last night we spent about half an hour in the basement with our neighbors, our various cats and a small dog. The cats were in their Pet Taxis because they were mildly freaked out by the apocalyptic thunder and the sirens. The storm moved to the north and south of the Twin Cities and didn't do much in our neighborhood, but it was fairly spectacular. There are storm warnings for this morning again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you read the Neal Stephenson novel Big U? Far and away my favorite of the academic novels I have read and quite a propos to this.