Saturday, December 01, 2007

Blade Runner 25 years later

I've been on a kick with trying to remember those "sea change" moments or the pre-digital era. I have been reading science fiction since I was a lonely nerdly junior high school kid. The extrapolation of existing scientific or political or anthropological frameworks to imagine alternative worlds has always held as much fascination to me as the reimagination of the past. I remember the whole "cyberpunk" moment, as well as other shifts in the cultural imagination that were registered by science fiction and fantasy writers.

Wired has an interview with Ridley Scott about his definitive final director's cut of Blade Runner. Ultimate fan site BRmoviec.om has every detail about all the versions of the film, the Philip K. Dick story that inspired it.

Visually, Scott, along with writer William Gibson, cite Moebius (french artist Jean Girard) as a major visual influence.

1 comment:

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

I was young, maybe 19 or 20 when I first saw Blade Runner. I thought it was overhyped. I did not appreciate it at all and did not think of it again until I started going to school and people made reference to it. I think I have some sort of chip missing. I see that people appreciate and love sci-fi, many people that I admire a lot, but I just cannot tolerate it. A professor told me that I am probably one of the last Americans who have never seen Star Wars. I've tried. I can't watch the Matrix either. Chip missing I think. I have a good friend who wants me to watch A Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Just the name has turned me off, but I think I will do it one day. By the way, when I went to London in 2005, I saw Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials. Snoozefest. Now the Golden Compass is out. Some ask how is it that I like Harry Potter but not Phillip Pullman, but I think they are totally different. Pullman reminds me of sci-fi, Harry Potter does not. Shrug. I've probably lost a bunch of cool points.